Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Saturday 11 July 2015

Quality Chocolat - Chocolat Bonnat Trinidad

For almost a decade now, because of poor treatment and payment of many harvesters and farmers of chocolate beans, read currently here, here and here,  I have been buying fair trade chocolate bars.

Now I am not naive enough to think that by a company or package saying that they are free trade, there cannot be hidden or uninspected bad things occurring. But at least its a step in the right direction.

There are also some companies that do buy fair trade chocolate but don't pay another organization to inspect, evaluate and determine if they can put their symbol on the package. That takes a little digging and trust on the consumers part.

In the Hudson Market, there is a company with a passion for chocolate and they have gathered a lot of it from around the world. I picked up this one, Chocolat Bonnat, as the seller stated that it and others he sells are committed to fairer pricing with the producers that they are equivalent to fair trade. In particular this company is committed to single-source bean-to-bar practices in fact they were the first company to do so. They also have few ingredients (cocoa, cocoa butter and sugar) and is the most expensive bar I’ve ever bought at $15. I knew I was in for a treat when I opened it...the smell was fantastic. The taste was also extraordinary and creamy while still having that dark chocolate bite of bitterness.

I like the more raw and higher cocoa content bars because I need less to have my fill so the bars last longer and I don't get oogy. I'll try a different sourced area bar from this company when next I'm in the Hudson.

No comments:

Post a Comment