Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Saturday 11 September 2021

Tastings at Wineries and Distilleries

 During our way up to and stay in Courtenay over the Labour day long weekend, several distilleries and wineries were visited.

The first was Arbutus Distillery in Nanaimo. It had a nice assortment of spirits with great décor and a view of the distilling room. My wife did the sampling as I do not like spirits. She liked several of them and bought a couple of bottles for herself.

The second spot was Chateau Wolff winery, also in Nanaimo. 


They provided four wines to try for my wife and I sipped a little from each. Their reds were nice and a bottle was purchased here. They also sell charcuterie plates on site.

40 Knots winery North of Comox is a lovely winery setup with fantastic buildings, slick posters/labels, and impressive membership program. Their wines were only fine though and not, in our opinion, worth the price. In five to ten years though their wines may equal the look of their establishment.


Coastal Black is North of Courtenay/Comox and makes fruit wines, cider, and mead. I have been buying their products at liquor stores for ten years and this was my first time to their establishment. I didn't need to sample them but did try sips from my wife's tasting board. I personally bought twelve bottles from them, in particular ones that are hard to get in Victoria. My wife bought a few as well.

The last establishment visited was Wayward distillery, who makes spirits out of honey that they harvest. I only sampled a few that my wife thought I would like and she bought a couple of bottles. Friendly staff and they have some hives on site.

No comments:

Post a Comment