Walking with leisure, the remainder of my items found their way into my luggage. A last check of the bedroom I was staying in was revealing nothing of mine. Walking upstairs for breakfast, we ate and observed the news, offering commentary and criticism. We said our goodbyes until our paths would recross in the future. It was 930am and it was time to go.
After gassing up, reaching the airport, checking into Air Canada, and dropping off my key to the rental car company there was nothing left except being exposed. Off to security I went.
Security checked me out and, once I passed their inspection, I chose to sit in the upper area. It was much more sparsely populated and there was no reason why more couldn’t have used it. I write more in my physical travel journal and read a book. The sheer amount of people made staying awake hard as they absorbed the oxygen.
Shortly after 11am there began the obligatory announcement that my flight had overbooked. It took the first increase of their original offer for someone to take it. It meant we would only be boarding five minutes late.
After hearing those who needed extra time or assistance to board, I began walking down the stairs to my gate. When we bought our tickets in December we had rare business class seating. My dreams of reexperiencing those rare things of yesteryear were coming true again: more legroom, big seats, metal cutlery, glasses made of glass and not wax paper or styrofoam, boarding early, a warm towlette, and lounge access. Be still my beating heart.
Should I feel guilty for obtaining better seating cheaper than an economy ticket normally is? No, I shouldn’t and yet I do a little. Luck in getting the tickets diminish the majority of any guilt. Foresight in booking the tickets well in advance reduces most of the rest.
I also know that many air travel companies are shrinking the space economy passengers receive. They are eliminating one or both of the free undercarriage bags, and charging a fee on what was once free, is another money making measure. Perhaps the federal government can step in to cease the sardine-ification of air travel, especially as airlines purposefully overbook to maximize margins while giving CEOs and shareholders large bonuses. Rant done for now.
The flight went smoothly, lunch was great, the tomato juice taste was enhanced as it always does at high elevations. The new free wifi allowed me to draft up travel logs. I also read more, here and there, as breaks.
Upon landing I stretched my legs walking the length of Toronto’s domestic side of the airport. Returning, I went into the Air Canada lounge. Grabbing a seat, a cappuccino, and some food, I read a little and relaxed. Then I started working on travel posting and documentation. Snacking for the next three hours, and having another coffee, I read for an hour to chill out.
Packing my things up it was time for another long walk. Reaching my gate as they started advance boarding I thought about my trip. The things I saw, food I ate, people I met, and family I reconnected with. It was a very good trip.
The second leg flew by, no pun intended, and I arrived in Victoria at 940pm. After collecting my bags, I took a taxi to my place. Once I arrived I tiptoed upstairs, as Natalie was asleep. After flossing and brushing, while reading my Kobo, it was time to wander through dreamland. 3.2 km and 5 flights climbed.
No comments:
Post a Comment