Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Dulse or Maritime Seaweed or Palmaria Palmata

I forgot to post this while I was in the Maritimes last month. Fortunately I still have a bag left. I grew up with my Mother's side of the family chewing on this and going to great lengths to procure fresh stuff. When I was young I didn't like it but after I matured  appreciated this snack food, especially after eating sushi for many years.
This is an example of a good piece. Free of barnacles and soft to the touch, it can retain its softness for quite some time with proper storage away from light and heat. It's prepared by dragging it off the beach, rinsing it off and letting it sit out to dry. Pretty simple.

Something I didn't know until I looked it up was that it is extremely healthy! An excellent source of fiber, this Northern Atlantic and Pacific strain has lots of vitamins, all the trace elements humans need, minerals and is a great source of protein, seen here. I never knew. So I you see a bag in a small store by the seaside, squeeze to check if its fresh and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment