Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Saturday 10 August 2013

Straight Razor Shave - First Time

As I have been on a stay in Victoria vacation, my facial hair has grown in the past week. Not only is it itchy but it has been preventing my wife from comfortably kissing me. I did some research and there are three barbers in Victoria that provide straight razor service: Cliff's in Vic West, Uomo in Fernwood and Victory downtown. I had been going to Cliff's for a few years for haircuts and their price is $27 with taxes. I phoned Uomo and they were $27 for a regular barber to shave you, $29 for the head barber and in the $40's for a double shave (to ensure a close shave). Victory's website had a shave for $35 and $45. I went with Cliff's because it was inexpensive and I try to be loyal to businesses I frequent.

It started with some skin moisturising liquid to open and lubricate the hair and skin, followed by a hot towel on the face. Then foam was applied to the face and in came the straight razor. I have to be honest but I got a little scared. The same kind of scared as with needles. I got over it and Martin proceeded to do an excellent job in removing all the hair from my face. He even did a double shave and the results was the closest shave I have ever had. He also foamed repeatedly as required and put some nice inoffensive smelling aftershave on my face afterwards.

I don't use aftershave myself as I have dark memories of several Christmases getting "Blue Stratos" in my teenage years. See the ad below for what I mean. It smelt absolutely horrible.
Overall the experience was interesting. I would not make it a habit but perhaps if I has a week or two of facial hair I would do it again and have it done at Cliff's.

No comments:

Post a Comment