Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Wednesday 29 December 2021

Wisdom without Zealotry - Created Realities

 "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different than yours."

Lewis Carroll, author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Since I last wrote a post, with the tag of Wisdom without Zealotry, there has been a lot of thinking in my life but nothing that I have not touched upon before. Unfortunately there are still folks who, singly or in groups, create their own realities that are nothing more than self-affirming mental gymnastics that allow their brains to release endorphins as they congratulate themselves. 

Although I have had many partial ideas for posts since June of 2019, I was frankly tired of these fictional created realities masquerading as non-fiction. In particular there were those created realities that hurt or attempted to force others to obey these falsehoods. Instead I read actual non-fiction and wonderfully created fiction stories for personal enjoyment. No subversion attempts by me but I was ignoring those folks who were.

That was until I saw the below video from Dan Olson on his Youtube Folding Ideas channel. I recommend watching it as it has a wonderful way of speaking about the topic of created realities, focusing on the Flat Earth and QAnon movements.


His delivery is accessible and honest, in order to understand why people believe the created realities they cling to. I knew that QAnon, in particular, had conspiracies. But I had no idea of the plethora of them and the massive graveyard of ones they do not speak anymore. Even though reality folded those unfounded theories, encouraged devotees were encouraged to continue with the cult by telling them to "trust in the plan" driving them deeper into the rabbit hole as endorphins were released when they did so. This is a very insidious failsafe because when their beliefs hold no water it is part of the "plan".

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was a marvelous book of fiction that played upon the parts of Lewis Carroll's society and popular culture. So when someone is attempting to push their created reality onto you, repeat back what they are saying in reworded form. Lay bare their created realities and show others they are the farce they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment