Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Saturday 3 September 2022

Discovering Podcasts

Very late last year I tried out podcasts on my cell phone. Using times where I was doing something tedious but that not a lot of brainpower was required (cleaning, washing dishes, painting models, simple reorganizing) I have have come to look forward to listening to subjects that interest me. Here are the three I have found that have kept that interest.

Pre-History Podcast: My first podcast and a subject I am very interested in. Focuses on the Near Middle East and the presenter is very clear, well spoken, and has a slightly sarcastic sense of humour. Starts from the furthest back in time archeologists have evidence for and moves down the timeline each episode. Great for people new to the subject. Excellent and up to episode 25 so far. Here for the Apple link.

Debaters: Rip-roaring funny more than half the time. Two comedians debate absurd subjects for an audience vote at the end. Sixteen seasons and more than 100 episodes made. Here for Apple link.

The Ancients: Tristan Hughes hosts this History Hit podcast. Each episode takes an authority(s) on a subject that occurred before the middle ages and going into depth for 30-60 minutes. Sometime it may be part of a short series or is an "explainer" episode by the host. Although Tristan Hughes is extremely passionate about Alexander the Great's time period he is able to bring out and synopsize information from the guest(s) very well. I have listened to 213 episodes so far and have a little left to go before I am caught up. Once caught up I will continue listening to this podcast but branch out into other History Hit podcasts, like their Middle Ages, Not Just the Tudors, and regular History Hit series.  Here for Apple link.

Ideas: Almost an hour long, with some multiple part series, is the long running Ideas. Variable topics so I pick and choose the ones I am interested in but I sometimes pick one at random. I have listened to this one on the radio but now can listen to it anytime I want and the ones I want. Here for Apple link.

Give these a try and fill in the gaps of monotony with knowledge and laughter.

2 comments:

  1. I like one called Noble Blood. Stories of scandals and murder in Royals through out history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete