Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Thursday 23 August 2012

Halifax - Hamachi at the Hydrostone

I have admired the establishment of restaurants and shops at the Hydrostone in Halifax for many years. I always make it a point, when I'm in the area, of eating at one of the restaurants in this block. This time I chose the Hamachi restaurant.

The Hamachi is a Japanese food place and is part of local chain of five under the Hamachi banner. Oddly, I have only eaten at this one but that is mainly because it is quite close to where i stay when I'm in town.

I ordered the deluxe sushi combination with McAuslan oatmeal stout and the fried sesame ice cream for dessert. The deluxe started with the traditional miso soup (nothing fantastic or bad) and the green salad with ginger-like sauce. The sauce was quite nice and sparked the taste buds for the meal to come. The sushi itself was fresh and flavorful. It also hit the spot. Sometimes you just have to try your seafood in the raw to contrast from the cooked.

The stout I'd had before and it went very well with the meal. The beer is from Quebec and their apricot beer is tasty too, even though I don't like apricots.

The ice cream was something i'd read on the internet so i had to try it. It was different but on reflection, it would be better just as ice cream.

The service was very good and they left me alone with my book and was very willing to allow me to space out my meal to make it easy on my stomach.

All in all I liked it before and still like it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment