Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Monday 27 August 2012

Summer Weddings

This past weekend I attended the wedding of my Cousin. It was fortunate that the timing of myself being out here on a course coincided with this event.
The service and reception was held in the same place, similar to the wedding of my wife and I ten years ago. It makes things so much easier for the guests. The only difference with ours is that we had the pictures taken before the service. That way we led right into the food after the service. In my cousin's case we had to wait for almost two hours but it gave me a chance to catch up with my Father's side of the family.
The bride (the cousin getting married) did many of the decorations including the cake pictured above. They also had a unique idea of having a candy table with many treats to fill a bag with. It was a much better ides than the piece of wedding cake that was popular 10 or so years ago. The event also took place in the hall I used to go to when I was young for Sea Cadets, so that was a nice bonus.
We left early as my sister, the driver, was getting tired but I was told the next day that the event went till 2am and fun and dancing was enjoyed by all.

More weddings should focus on the celebration of the event and not on the attempt at making it better than Prince Williams and Kate's soirée (or Prince Charles and Lady Di in my day). Too much is spent and too much debt incurred to make it "the day" that it becomes a dream compared to the rest of your life. If you are spending over $5000 on everything, its too much. Make it smaller, more intimate. Create your own decorations. Go with local caterers that include everything in their price, per person at the event. A dependable DJ who knows your taste and the taste of the people attending.

Add fun to your wedding and above all, get ready to laugh at the errors and pitfalls leading up and during it because there will be some.

No comments:

Post a Comment