Headings

Food (428) History (350) Travel (238) art (203) France (138) Spain (130) Vancouver Island (123) maritimes (119) UK (96) Portugal (81) Postcard of the Interwebs (70) Musings (47) Tofino (47) Scandinavia (44) book (37) Hornby (29) Movie and TV (25) Conventions (23) Music (19) Wisdom without Zealotry (17) Quadra Island (12) San Francisco (11) Ottawa (5)

Sunday 5 April 2015

Peloponnesian War by Donald Kagan

The history book, The Peloponnesian War by Donald Kagan, is one of the best history books I have ever read. It is a topic that has always interested me as I like ancient history and is also one of my resolutions for this year.

It is a condensed version of his four part series on the entire Peloponnesian war, a conflict that pitted Greek against Greek for almost thirty years. He has combined many sources, including the account made at the time by Thucydides, a great historian in his own right. The writing is fresh, engaging and made me put aside time for the next chapter. He also goes into the whys and wherefores of events and the greater impact on the region.

This book will be read several time over my life because of its excellent writing. Makes me wonder why someone hasn't made a multi-part documentary on this conflict.

I'm taking a break from Greek history but will get back into it with the Landmark  Thucydides soon.

For those that want to look at more Greek history from Donald Kagan, his free Yale course videos are available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment